The Assam State Archives has a valuable collection of all the official records/files. The AIMS software has been used in cataloguing of the files by the Directorate.
The collection includes:
- The Board of Revenue files (1774-1824)
- Bengal Government files (1788- 1874)
- Dacca Commissioner files (1867-1874)
- Manuscript Volumes (1823-1874)
- Chief Minister Secretariat(1943-1992)
- Chief Commissioners files (1874-1921)
- Assam Commissioners files (1833-1907)
- Home Confidential files (1888-1971)
- Departmental files (1874-1957) etc.
Details about the holdings:
Manuscripts and Files (1774-1874)
1. a) Manuscripts Volumes (1826-1874)
[8 series records from 1823 to 1874 relating to correspondence between Agent to the Governor General and Govt. of Bengal / District officers, etc.]
1. b) Transferred files of Bengal-Manuscripts and files (1774-1874)
2. Records of Chief Commissioner of Assam (1874-1905)
3. Records of Eastern Bengal & Assam (1905-1912)
4. Records of Chief Commissioner of Assam (1912-1920)
5. Records of Governor's Province (1921-1947)
6. Records of Provincial Governments (1937-1947)
Proceedings (1874-1939)-(Printed files)
- Proceedings (Chief Commissioner of Assam, Eastern Bengal and Assam, Commissioner, Assam Valley).
Other Records (1826-1957)
- Governor Secretariat files (1942- 1945).
- Governor Secretariat (confidential) files (1921-1950).
- Chief Minister's Secretariat (1947-1957).
- Political History of Assam's files (1826-1947).
- Confidential and Home (Conf) files (1888-1971).
- Police (SB) (1935-1947).
- Commissioner, Assam Valley (1874-1933).
- Gazetteers- Imperial, India, Assam, Provincial and Districts.
- Assam (1874-1992)
- India (1860-1969)
- Calcutta (1843-1958)
- Reports - Administrative, Census, Journals of Asiatic Society, etc
Assam Secretariat Records (1874-1957)
- 1874-1905: General Department including native records, Judicial, and Revenue files.
- 1905-1912: General Department (including PWD, Medical, LSG, etc.), Political & Judicial Department, Revenue Department, Finance & Municipal Department, etc.
- 1912-1921: General Department (including Public Service, Education, PWD, etc); Appointment & Political Department, Education Department, Passport Department, etc.
- 1921-1937: Transferred Department, Finance Deptt, Revenue Department, Judicial Department, Forest Department, Industries Department, Agriculture Department, etc.
- 1937-47: Home Department, Judicial & General Department, Finance Department, Appointment Department, LSG Deptt, Legislative, etc.
- 1920-32 and 1936-41: List of Passport File. Download