- To receive, collect and classify enthusiastically and perpetually all public records that come its way and ensure scientific preservation of the documented heritage of the State.
- To concentrate in a single repository all the non-current records both confidential and non-confidential of the State Secretariat and the authorities subordinate to it.
- To encourage the scientific management, administration and conservation of records of entire state administration.
- To encourage easy access to archival records.
- To promote archival awareness among the public, researchers, scholars, private organizations and the academic institutions for proper care and use of our documented heritage.
- Continuously collect , receive and classify all public records that come its way
- Appraisal and weeding of records
- Preparation of reference media like Indices, Summary lists, Subject lists, Inventories, Descriptive lists etc.
- Repair of brittle and damaged records under different processes, such as lamination, full pasting, and mounting of Maps etc.
- Chemical treatment of records.
- Binding/Re-binding of repaired records and maps.
- Digitization of records.
- Microfilming of records.
- Advancing facilities to creating agencies, Government departments, research scholars and bonafide members of the public for reference and research.
Guidance and Assistance
- The Assam State Archives is committed to providing maximum assistance to scholars, students, administrators as well as the common man who approach us in connection with their respective work.
- The Assam State Archives providing feed back facility to the scholars/ researches visiting the Assam State Archives research room.
- All requests may be addressed to:
Assam State Archives
Near Ganesh Mandir, Ganeshguri
P.O.: Assam Secretariat
Phone: +91 9435010349(M), (0361) 2261889
Fax No: +91 0361 2261889